Berlin has an efficient and affordable transport system known as the BVG, with a easy-to-recognize yellow and black colour scheme. All stations have maps on the wall to help with orientation, and we recommend downloading relevant travel apps on your smartphone prior to arrival.
- From Tegel Airport (TXL)
- At the airport, take Bus 109 to the subway stop Jakob-Kaiser-Platz.
- Change to the subway U7 line in the direction of Rudow (south) to the subway stop Fehrbelliner Platz.
- Change to the U3 in the direction of Krumme Lanke (south) to the subway stop Freie Universität (Thielplatz).
- Travel time is about 40 min.
- Tegel Airport is in the B zone for BVG tickets. You will need an AB zone ticket to travel to the conference venue.
- From Schönefeld Airport (SXF)
- At the airport station, take train S9 in the direction of Spandau (north) to the station Treptower Park.
- Change to the circle line S 41 travelling clockwise (west) to Heidelberger Platz.
- Change to the subway U3 in the direction of Krumme Lanke (south) to the subway stop Freie Universität (Thielplatz).
- Travel time about one hour.
- Schönefeld Airport is in the C zone for BVG tickets. You will need an ABC zone ticket, or an AB zone ticket with a C extension, to travel to the conference venue.
- From Hauptbahnhof (Berlin Central Train Station)
- Take train S9 in the direction of Spandau (west) to the station Zoologischer Garten.
- Change to subway U2 in the direction of Pankow to the station Wittenbergplatz.
- Change to U3 in the direction of Krumme Lanke to Freie Universität (Thielplatz).
- Travel time is about 30 min.
- Hauptbahnhof is in the A zone for BVG tickets. You will need an AB zone ticket to travel to the conference venue.
Public Transport Tickets
BVG single tickets start at €2.80 and are valid for 2 hours. You can only travel in a single direction; returns require a separate ticket. You can make as many transfers on different vehicles (U-bahn, S-bahn, busses, trams, ferries, etc) as you wish during this time without purchasing additional tickets.
BVG day tickets start at €7.00 and are valid until 3 am the next day.
Paper single tickets require validation on the train platforms or at the validation machines within busses and trams. Tickets purchased on the app do not require validation.
If you are staying within walking distance to the conference venue, you can simply use single travel tickets.
If you are staying on the U3 line, or further afield around Berlin, we recommend a 7-day ticket which starts at €30.
There are three ticket zones in Berlin and all tickets are valid for at least 2 zones. For most locations along the U3 line, as well as all locations within the Ringbahn (S41/S42), you should purchase an AB zone ticket. In the event that you are arriving from Potsdam, you should purchase a BC zone ticket. Generally, you should not require an ABC (three-zone) ticket apart from arrival/departure through Schönefeld Airport (SXF).
We recommend using the BVG website and/or one of the travel apps below to check your ticket requirements prior to arrival in Berlin.
BVG FahrInfo Plus: transport maps (accessible offline after download), schedule (online only), route planning (online only)
BVG Berlin tickets: official app for purchasing BVG transport tickets
Offi/Öffi - Journey Planner: alternative journey planner and transport system maps (Android only)
Google Maps: can provide offline maps - instructions for downloading offline map areas. Require internet connection for planning public transport routes.
MAPS.ME: OpenStreetMap-based offline maps. Download in advance.
Uber is available in Berlin but public transport is more economical and much more commonly used. There is no ridesharing option -- you must book an entire car (UberX).
For rideshares in the eastern part of the city centre, BVG offers the BerlKönig. Unfortunately this service does not cover the conference venue.
Taxis are usually recognizable by their pale yellow colour. The cost is charged according to the meter.
Parking is available at a distance of about 300 m from the venue, on the Free University campus. We cannot make reservations in advance, and availability is offered on a first-come-first-served basis.